Making A World Of Difference Award 2017 – 2018
Application Deadline: April 1st, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
Award Value: $1,000 per partnership, which equals $500 per individual*.
Number of Awards: 2 partnerships (totalling 4 individuals)
This award is student-focused, but staff and faculty are also eligible to apply as part of an Intercultural Mentorship Program partnership with a student. *See bottom of form for more details.
The Making A World of Difference Award is presented to two (2) Global-Local partnerships who have participated in the Intercultural Mentorship Program (IMP) at any campus and who best fulfil all of the following criteria in either Term 1 or Term 2:
1) Eligibility Criteria:
To apply for this award, each eligible partnership must have:
• Attended an IMP orientation session together
• Completed 7 hours of meeting time together
• Completed the reflection survey (both partners must have completed the survey individually)
2) Application Package Submission Criteria:
Each eligible partnership must:
• Submit a completed online application package by April 1st, 2018 at 11:59 pm. Late packages will not be accepted.
3) Online Application Package:
Partnerships should work on their application and review the online application form together. This time does not count towards the 7 minimum partnership hours.
Only ONE member of the partnership should submit the online application on behalf of the partnership.
The application package consists of:
1. A completed entry form (link below), submitted by one partner in the partnership
2. A minimum 500-word document (either a .doc or .docx file) that illustrates, in detail, how the partnership embraced the Intercultural Mentorship Program and proved excellent mentorship qualities and skills. This document must be attached to the entry form. Photos can be included within the document to help illustrate the partnership experience (copy and paste into the document). No separate photos will be accepted other than those included in the document. The document should demonstrate some, or all, of the following role expectations, as outlined in the IMP guide and discussed in the orientation session:
- Partners displayed a positive attitude and genuine interest in the partnership
- Partners embraced equality within the partnership (including equal sharing / learning, collaboration in negotiation goals, planning activities etc)
- Partners deliberately sought out a variety of new experiences together and embraced the time spent together
- Partners explored cultural differences together and engaged in meaningful and respectful conversation on topics that matter to them
- Partners were able to tolerate and engage ambiguity
- Partners stayed connected: with each other and the Mentorship Program Coordinator
- Partners respected confidentiality in one another
- Both partners stepped out of their everyday comfort zones
- Other Mentor qualities/skills embraced in the partnership, as discussed in the orientation session
3. Students must be in good academic standing with their program and Red River College.
4) Selection Process:
All application packages will be reviewed and evaluated by a judging panel.
Packages will be evaluated for 1) Eligibility; 2) Evidence of how the partnership embraced the Intercultural Mentorship Program as demonstrated in the word document; and 3) Documentation collected about the partnership throughout the program, including program application forms, communications with the Mentorship Program Coordinator, mid-point check-ins.
*For student recipients, the award will be given in the form of a $500 cheque. Faculty or staff do not qualify for the monetary award but can still receive their Award Certificate.
The two successful partnerships will be notified directly and invited to receive their award at the annual “Making A World Of Difference” event in April 2018. All applicants to this award should plan to attend the event.
Here is the entry form:
This entry form is the only accepted method of submitting an application.
For more information, contact:
Mentorship Program Coordinator
Red River College of Applied Arts, Science and Technology
Diversity and Intercultural Services
224-319 Elgin Avenue| Winnipeg, Manitoba R3A 0K4
Phone: 204.632.3847 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Red River College is governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of Manitoba (FIPPA) in the collection, use, retention, safeguarding, disclosing and disposing of personal information. The personal information you provide will be used to help us assess your request and contact you about your request. If you have any questions or concerns, contact Red River College’s Privacy Co-ordinator at email@example.com.
We ask that you please do not reveal personal health information in the fields above.