The ‘Future of the Trades – Trades of the Future’ Summit seeks to disrupt traditional thinking about the skilled trades in Manitoba and beyond. By mixing thought-leaders from across the country with local industry, educators, and community builders, we seek to ‘Think Outside the Toolbox’ about how the trades will meet the evolving demands of industry into the next century. Manitoba’s diverse labour market needs require innovative thinking to ensure we are not just keeping up with technological and social change, but getting out ahead of it, and finding new ways to structure the skilled trades for the work of tomorrow.
The purpose of the day is to generate discussion across sectors about the impact and acceleration of technology on the skilled trades related to innovation, competitiveness, business models, staffing trends and worker expectations.
Please join us for a thought-provoking day of information sharing and idea creation!
Registration for the event is now closed.
- An impression/experience as “thought leaders” and “community builders” committed to supporting innovation, productivity and growth
- An interest in investing (time and/or money) in supporting education and training that can support innovation through anticipating future needs and directions
- An interest in fostering partnerships among industry, government and training providers to facilitate ongoing information sharing and facilitating access to state-of-the-art equipment
- Exposure to emerging technologies that will or already have an impact on their industries
- New ideas about how an innovation in one sector may benefit another sector
- A commitment to ensuring current and future employers do have the employees they need to build strong, vibrant and forward-thinking businesses
- An interest in participating in further cross-sector discussions and building innovation across systems and sectors
- A desire to inform leading edge curricula and experiential learning opportunities for students and current employees
Who Should Attend?
- Post Secondary Institutions
- K-12 Institutions
- Provincial Government Representatives
- Chambers and Associations
- Private Industry/Employers
- Labour/Training Organization
- Social Enterprise / Not-for-Profit Organizations
- Other – including architects, engineers, suppliers, etc.
- National Organizations
Date: Monday, May 29, 2017
Time: 8:00am – 4:00pm
Location: Voyageur Dining Room – Red River College, 2055 Notre Dame Ave. Winnipeg, MB
|7:00 am – 8:00 am||Registration and Breakfast|
|8:00 am – 8:30 am||Opening Remarks and Keynote Speaker Introductions|
|8:30 am – 9:30 am||Keynote Speaker – Lyon Wong|
|9:30 am – 9:50 am||Networking Break|
|9:50 am – 12:00 pm||Round Table Discussions|
|12:00 pm – 1:00 pm||Lunch|
|1:00 pm – 1:15 pm||Afternoon Remarks and Keynote Speaker Introduction|
|1:15 pm – 2:15 pm||Keynote Speaker – Ted Graham|
|2:15 pm – 2:35 pm||Networking Break|
|2:35 pm – 4:00 pm||Round Table Discussions|
|4:00 pm||Closing Remarks|
Here are just some of the presenters who will inspire our conversation:
Discussion Paper – A Discussion Paper by Dr. Ken Coates, Canada Research Chair in Regional Innovation, will be distributed in advance to all participants to prompt innovative thinking and the case for change.
Morning Keynote – Mr. Lyon Wong, a young venture capitalist with an interest in ecosystem innovation and key success elements of ecosystems. He is involved in creating an entrepreneurial culture by encouraging government, industry and training institutions to work together.
Afternoon Keynote – Mr. Ted Graham, author of The Uber of Everything and the head of Open Innovation at General Motors. His remarks will focus on how technology was transformed at General Motors.
Lot 4W will be reserved for attendees and “Event Parking” signs will be posted along Notre Dame Ave. and Lorimer Lane.
A limited number of rooms have been reserved at the Victoria Inn Hotel and Convention Centre at 1808 Wellington Ave. in Winnipeg.
To reserve a room, please call 204-786-4801 and quote group 764716 to obtain the group booking rate of $129 plus taxes.