September 26, 2017 • Written by Mark Nelson
Orange Shirt Day occurs annually on Sept 30th and recognizes the harms done to our Indigenous communities, friends and family by the Residential School System.
Orange Shirt Day is a legacy of the St. Joseph Mission (SJM) residential school commemoration event held in Williams Lake, BC, Canada, in the spring of 2013. It grew out of Phyllis’ story of having her shiny new orange shirt taken away on her first day of school at the Mission, and it has become an opportunity to keep the discussion on all aspects of residential schools happening annually.
The date was chosen because it is the time of year in which children were taken from their homes to residential schools, and because it is an opportunity to set the stage for anti-racism and anti-bullying policies for the coming school year. It also gives teachers time to plan events that will include children, as we want to ensure that we are passing the story and learning on to the next generations.
Orange Shirt Day is also an opportunity for First Nations, local governments, schools and communities to come together in the spirit of reconciliation and hope for generations of children to come.
Residential Schools Library Guide
Learn more about residential schools and their effects on Indigenous peoples.
Residential Schools Library Guide: http://rrclibrary.libguides.com/c.php?g=697597
Notre Dame Campus “Orange Shirt Day” Window Display
Red River College Library has recognized Orange Shirt Day by setting up a window display outside the Notre Dame Campus Library. We have also placed a selection of books in the display. Come by and see what is available, or view a complete list of all books in our display. If you see something you like, inquire at the Circulation Desk inside the library.
September 19, 2017 • Written by Mark Nelson
UpToDate is an evidence-based, physician-authored clinical decision support resource which clinicians trust to make the right point-of-care decisions.
UpToDate is the premier evidence-based clinical decision support resource, trusted worldwide by healthcare practitioners to help them make the right decisions at the point of care. It is proven to change the way clinicians practice medicine, and is the only resource of its kind associated with improved outcomes.
Your RRC Student/Staff account will give you free access to UpToDate while you are a student/staff at the college.You just need to:
- Initially connect through a special link on the Library website (IMPORTANT!)
- Create a username and password at UpToDate.
Do you want detailed instructions? Here they are!
How Should You Access UpToDate?
RRC Students and Faculty should access UpToDate through a special link located on the Library website:
- Go to http://library.rrc.ca
- On the left hand side of the home page access the link titled “List of Available Databases“.
- Look for “UpToDate” in the alphabetical list of resources.
- On the RRC instruction page access UpToDate through this link: UpToDate (User Account Access)
- You will be asked for your RRC username and password. Click the green “Continue to the requested resource” button once login is successful.
- When you first go to the UpToDate site, you may be asked to register a user profile at UpToDate.com. Do it! If you are not asked to register, then manually click the link in the upper right and register an account for yourself. Registering allows you to access the site via the UpToDate App.
Direct Access to UpToDate
Once you register a personal account with UpToDate you may continue to access the site directly, without going through the RRC Library website. However, when 90 days approaches, you will receive an email prompting you to go back to the RRC Library website and reconnect to UpTo Date, thus refreshing your eligibility for free access to the site.
Using the UpToDate App
Individual subscribers can answer their clinical questions anytime, anywhere by downloading an App for iOS or Android. To use the UpToDate App on your mobile device:
Click the image for a larger version
- You must first login to UpToDate through the RRC Library web site via the UpToDate (User Account Access link. This initial step is critical for UpToDate to link your account with access granted through Red River College.
- Register a personal account with UpToDate. Remember the username and password you have set with UpToDate. Note: The first time you login, the registration box will appear. On subsequent visits you may click the “Register” link on upper right of the site.
- Download the *Free* UpToDate app from your app store. It is available for both Apple and Android devices.
- Open the UpToDate App and login using the personal account you have created at the UpToDate web site. (See image on the right)
- You will be granted continuous access through the UpToDate App, however you will be required to refresh your eligibility for access every 90 days by returning to the library website and clicking the link labelled UpToDate (User Account Access.
- The RRC Library maintains an UpToDate Help guide. Consult this guide for the latest in technical information and troubleshooting information.
- You may contact Mark Nelson for technical support.