Tenant Insurance

Every student living in residence is encouraged to have tenant insurance. Insurance protects you from costs that could be incurred in the event of water damage, a fire, or break-in, or other unfortunate incident. Without insurance, you will be responsible for the entire cost of repairs and replacements.

How much does insurance cost?

Your insurance cost depends on the type and amount of coverage you  purchase, but is usually less than $18 per month. If you are a Manitoba resident, you may also be eligible for your parents to add you as a “rider” to their insurance plan, which means you are covered without having to purchase separate insurance yourself.

What kind of insurance should I get?
  • Liability insurance covers against damages you or a guest may cause to your suite during your contract period.
  • Content coverage covers against lost or stolen property.
  • Some insurance providers may also cover additional living expenses, which are your costs to stay elsewhere temporarily while repairs are being done to your suite.

Discuss which options are best for you with your insurance broker.

Where can I buy insurance?

You can purchase tenant insurance from most insurance companies and independent brokers. You can also choose to purchase insurance from Western Financial by filling out this Tenant Insurance Application 2017/2018