As required by The Red River College Act, every two years Red River College staff elect a co-worker to serve on the Board of Governors.
An election to determine a new employee Board member for the period July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2019 will be held May 25 through May 31, 2017.
Meet the Candidates
This year eight RRC employees are running for the position of Employee Board Member. Visit Meet the Candidates to view their profiles and messages to RRC staff.
Expectations and Role
Board members are remunerated $150 per month and regular board meetings are held once a month from September to June. In addition to attending board meetings, expectations of the position include attending convocation ceremonies and acting as an ambassador for the Board at college functions. The employee member may also facilitate a college council (section 21 of The RRC Act) if he/she wishes.
The employee Board member’s role is to bring an employee perspective to the Board’s discussions and deliberations. The employee member will be excused from discussions related to labour negotiations for the bargaining unit he/she belongs as outlined in the Board of Governors Conflict of Interest Policy.
Dates to Note
Nomination period begins – Tuesday, April 25
Nomination period closes – Tuesday, May 9, 12:00 p.m.
Candidates to be announced – Wednesday, May 10
Campaign period – Wednesday, May 10 to Wednesday, May 24
Online voting period – Thursday, May 25 to Wednesday, May 31
Election winner announced – Thursday, June 1
Permanent and term Red River College employees as of Tuesday, May 9, 2017 are eligible for nomination and to sign nomination forms.
Staff considering standing for election should note the provision in the Act requiring the employee member’s appointment to the Board to cease when his/her employment with the College ends.
Permanent and term employees during the period Thursday, May 25 to Wednesday, May 31, 2017 are eligible to vote.
- Nominations must be submitted on a Nomination Form and signed by the nominee and five employees.
- All nomination forms must be received by the Board Administration Office, C7-19A by 12:00 p.m., Tuesday, May 9, 2017.
- The candidates’ names will be announced on Wednesday, May 10, 2017.
Candidates can campaign from May 10 – 24 and may post two messages in the RRC Staff News. Candidates may also place posters around the public areas of the college during the campaign period, and are responsible for their removal after the election.
- Online voting will be held Thursday, May 25 through Wednesday, May 31, 2017.
- Eligible employees will receive an email message on May 25 providing a link to the online voting system. The link allows each employee to vote once.
- The online voting system does not personally identify who has submitted a ballot.
- The election winner will be announced on Thursday, June 1, 2017.
- In the event of a tie vote, a second election limited to the tied candidates will be held within one week.
- The candidate with the largest number of votes will be appointed to the Board of Governors for a two-year period beginning July 1, 2017.
- If during the two-year term the employee member is not able to continue the position on the Board, another election will be held. However, if this occurs prior to the September 2017 Regular Board Meeting, the candidate with the next highest number of votes will be offered the position.
The election is coordinated by the Board Administration Office. For further information contact:
Executive Administrator to the Board of Governors
C7-19A, Notre Dame Campus