Viva el Ritmo – A Look at Latin Music
The Winnipeg Folk Festival will present a FREE Festival-style workshop on Saturday, February 25th, at the Millennium Library. This is a great opportunity to see several musicians
up close and personal in a 90-minute workshop.
The show starts at 2:00 PM. Everyone is welcome.
For more information, click here.
Three Diversity Ambassador positions are available for current immigrant and international students in full-time academic programs. Diversity Ambassadors spend a minimum of 50 hours of time over the year to share their experience, promote diversity on campus, provide peer-support and assist Diversity and Intercultural Services to organize events and activities. This program is an opportunity for student leaders who are committed to promoting diversity and creating an inclusive environment at Red River College.
Screening criteria for participants
- Must be a current full-time immigrant or international student at Red River College who will return as a full-time student the following academic year
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural, communication and organization skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Interest in diversity and working with people from different backgrounds and cultures
- Willingness to listen respectfully to different points of view and openness to self-reflection
- Commitment to following through on assignments, meeting deadlines and performing tasks in a timely manner
Ambassadors receive a $500 honorarium at the end of the program.
Program commitment involves a May-April timeline.
Deadline to apply is April 21, 2017!
Apply: Diversity Ambassadors Program.
February 14, 2017 • Written by Norlan Page
Red River College International Education Department is pleased to invite you to the Government of Manitoba’s presentation on Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) – International Graduation Stream:
Exchange District Campus
Date: March 6, 2017
Venue: Great West Life Lecture Theatre
Time: 4.00pm -5.30pm
Notre Dame Campus
Date: March 7, 2017
Venue: Black Lecture Theatre
Time: 4.00pm -5.30pm
Topics covered will include:
- MPNP guidelines for international student grads
- Eligibility requirements
- Application Processes
- Use of immigration representatives
To attend, please respond to: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact by phone at 204.632.2197.
Festival du Voyageur is the largest winter festival in western Canada, and it takes place every February right here is Winnipeg! The festival celebrates Canada’s fur-trading past and unique French and Métis heritage and culture through entertainment, arts and crafts, music, exhibits, and displays.
Although there is an admission cost to get into the festival, there will also be opportunities to experience festival events for free. Most of the free events will take place at the Rendez-vous on Ice (at the junction of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers) at The Forks.
- Breakfast on Ice:7 a.m. to 10 a.m. (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- A special celebration for all the skaters, bikers, walkers, runners and skiers who use the Red River ice trail as part of their morning commute and also for all the folks who just like to celebrate a Winnipeg winter. There will be free hot chocolate, trail tails, entertainment and prize draws.
- Torch Light Walk: 6:30 p.m. (At the main entrance of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights)
- Join the cheerful crowd as they walk from the Canadian Museum for Human Rights to Voyageur Park for an exceptional stroll lit by hundreds of candles and torch lights. The ﬁrst 100 participants will receive a free day pass to Voyageur Park!
- Fierté d’hiver (Winter Pride): 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- Fierté d’hiver is a Winter Pride Celebration for Winnipeg’s LGBTQ community! Two-Spirited People of Manitoba will start the celebration with a traditional drum song and welcoming invocation, followed by a performance by Rylee Sandberg, a 7-year-old Anishinabe, Cree and Metis hoop dancer. There will also be entertainment featuring Local DJ’s and a drag show performance by Lita Takeela!
- Fashion on Ice: 4 p.m. (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- This fashion show will showcase the work of several fashion & accessory designers and retailers.
- Discotèque on Ice: 4:30 p.m. to 9 p.m (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- Up and coming artists in the local pop and electronica scenes will share their love of French music.
- Wild Winter Canoe Race: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- It’s a race. In a canoe. In February! Participants will push their canoe down a snow-packed 200-meter course. Spectators will enjoy watching teams compete as they raise money for a local non-profit organization.
- Family Rendez-Vous on the Trail: 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- Enjoy free hot chocolate and activities for kids and parents.
Click here for more details.
We all have relationships in our lives, some of them better than others. As Valentine’s Day approaches, come and talk about what makes a relationship healthy and why this is important for you.
Join RRC counsellor, Chad Smith, on Wednesday, February 8th, for this workshop on healthy relationships. Topics will include:
- Characteristics of healthy and unhealthy relationships
- The importance of respect and communication
- Resources available in the community
Where? Language Training Centre, Lunchroom D
When? Wednesday, February 8th, Noon – 12:45
The Great Skate is friendly skating race open to participants of all ages and skill levels. It is an event that celebrates the cold winters and the warmth of the people in Winnipeg.
What: A 6 km race – on skates!
Where: Starting at the Forks and racing on the Red River Mutual Skating Trail
When: Sunday February 5th, 2017. Registration from 8:00 – 8:45 am, race starts at 9:00 am
Who: Open to all ability and fitness levels
The ice skate rental shop in the Forks will be open before the race. Be sure to arrive early if you need to rent skates.
For more details or to register, click here.
Canada’s largest outdoor curling bonspiel will take place this weekend at The Forks. The Ironman Outdoor Curling Bonspiel is a not for profit event raising money for the Heart & Stroke Foundation and is held each year in February. This year, 88 teams will curl on 10 sheets of ice on the river at The Forks. This is a great opportunity to watch some curling and to learn more about one of Canada’s favourite pastimes.
Date: February 3–5
- Friday 6:00pm – 11:00pm
Saturday 8:00am – 10:00pm
Sunday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Location: Red River Mutual Trail, The Forks
January 20, 2017 • Written by Norlan Page
The search is on for energetic RRC students who are interested in being a student ambassador/campus tour guide during Open House, Tuesday, February 21, 2017 and Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at the Notre Dame Campus or Exchange District Campus.
Shifts will take place on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 between 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. and Wednesday, February 22, 2017 between 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Additional hours will be required for training prior to the event.
Students have the option of a paid position at $11.00/hour, a volunteer position, or some of each.
Must be able to attend one of the training session: February 13 or 15, 2017 at 4:00pm-8:00pm (NDC Students Only) February 16, 2017 at 4:00pm-8:00pm (EDC Students Only)
If you are interested, please contact Clint Thiessen email@example.com. Please indicate which program you are in, and which campus you study at.
Students must be outgoing, energetic, and comfortable with doing campus tours alone. (Training is provided)
Deadline is January 26th, 2017 (4:00 pm).
Did you know that the Winnipeg Public Library offers many free workshops and information sessions each month? Some upcoming events include:
For more information, visit your local library or click here.
Join photographer Joseph Visser of From Here & Away Photography for a FREE photography workshop on Monday, January 23rd. The workshop will take place at The Forks, in The Common, from 7:00pm – 9:00pm.
This workshop is open to any skill level or shooting style.
For more information, click here.