Festival du Voyageur is the largest winter festival in western Canada, and it takes place every February right here is Winnipeg! The festival celebrates Canada’s fur-trading past and unique French and Métis heritage and culture through entertainment, arts and crafts, music, exhibits, and displays.
Although there is an admission cost to get into the festival, there will also be opportunities to experience festival events for free. Most of the free events will take place at the Rendez-vous on Ice (at the junction of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers) at The Forks.
- Breakfast on Ice:7 a.m. to 10 a.m. (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- A special celebration for all the skaters, bikers, walkers, runners and skiers who use the Red River ice trail as part of their morning commute and also for all the folks who just like to celebrate a Winnipeg winter. There will be free hot chocolate, trail tails, entertainment and prize draws.
- Torch Light Walk: 6:30 p.m. (At the main entrance of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights)
- Join the cheerful crowd as they walk from the Canadian Museum for Human Rights to Voyageur Park for an exceptional stroll lit by hundreds of candles and torch lights. The ﬁrst 100 participants will receive a free day pass to Voyageur Park!
- Fierté d’hiver (Winter Pride): 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- Fierté d’hiver is a Winter Pride Celebration for Winnipeg’s LGBTQ community! Two-Spirited People of Manitoba will start the celebration with a traditional drum song and welcoming invocation, followed by a performance by Rylee Sandberg, a 7-year-old Anishinabe, Cree and Metis hoop dancer. There will also be entertainment featuring Local DJ’s and a drag show performance by Lita Takeela!
- Fashion on Ice: 4 p.m. (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- This fashion show will showcase the work of several fashion & accessory designers and retailers.
- Discotèque on Ice: 4:30 p.m. to 9 p.m (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- Up and coming artists in the local pop and electronica scenes will share their love of French music.
- Wild Winter Canoe Race: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- It’s a race. In a canoe. In February! Participants will push their canoe down a snow-packed 200-meter course. Spectators will enjoy watching teams compete as they raise money for a local non-profit organization.
- Family Rendez-Vous on the Trail: 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. (Rendez-vous on Ice)
- Enjoy free hot chocolate and activities for kids and parents.
Click here for more details.