Red River College offers two mobile training labs (MTL’s) to support delivery of quality trades training programs to rural and northern Manitoba communities. Each unit consists of a 53-foot trailer with slide-out sides that quickly transforms into 950 square feet of vocational training space.
A diesel generator supplies power to the furnace. Electrical power, air-conditioning and lighting are supported by connecting to local hydro or by generator only.
The portability of the training labs allows RRC to deliver nationally-recognized trade training such as automotive, carpentry, electrical, machining, pipe fitting, plumbing, welding and industrial mechanics; whatever is required.
The RRC School of Indigenous Education, Department of Aboriginal Education uses one of the MTL’s to support Community-based delivery of a five-month Introduction to Trades program for Aboriginal learners at the same tuition rates as the on-campus program.
The MTL’s increase access for students in rural areas and link training with community-based projects and emerging industry needs. Community-based programs allow students to remain at home to complete studies and maintain access to family and community supports while building labour capacity in rural and Aboriginal communities.
Red River College brings growth, inclusion, continued Aboriginal outreach, accessibility and quality innovation into our mobile training labs.
- Watch a CBC video segment featuring RRC’s Mobile Training Labs →
- Listen to a CBC Radio segment about RRC’s Mobile Training Labs →
- See the Mobile Training Lab schedule →
- Peguis-Fisher River RRC Campus July 2014 Electrical
- Winkler RRC Campus July 2014 Basic MIG Welding
- Selkirk District Community Learning Centre
- Winkler RRC Regional Campus Basic MIG Welding
- Waywayseecappo First Nation & Park West School Division
- Winnipeg River Learning Centre
- Sapotaweyak Education Authority
- Pinaymootang First Nation
- Interlake Métis Association
- Elmwood High School Trades Exploration
- Seven Oaks School Division
- Winkler Garden Valley Collegiate