The Electric Vehicle Technology & Education Centre (EVTEC) was developed with the support of the Province of Manitoba to help test and demonstrate electric vehicle technologies, while allowing Red River College to enhance its applied research and training programs. Catalyzing this initiative has been the Province’s collaboration with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, New Flyer Industries, Manitoba Hydro, and RRC on the $3-million, 3-year project to develop an all-electric transit bus and charging system.
Province of Manitoba: Past Support and Initiatives
The Province has supported a number of Red River College applied research projects over the years. These projects include the Red River Raycer (solar car); Hybrid Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine and Hydrogen Fuel Cell bus demonstrations; and the Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle fleet conversion, demonstration, and evaluation. These projects complement the $2.4 million investment by Western Diversification for research equipment and related infrastructure for the Advanced Transportation & Energy Centre (ATEC) within the Heavy Equipment Transportation Centre (HETC).
EVTEC’s mission is threefold:
- To support electric vehicle innovation among Manitoba’s transportation sector,
- To enhance electric vehicle education at RRC and in the region, and
- To increase public awareness of electric vehicle technology.
To support innovation among Manitoba’s transportation sector, project development and management is being led by Applied Research & Commercialization (AR&C) and the School of Transportation, Aviation & Manufacturing (TAM). With a strong industry network and a history of collaborating with businesses to conduct practical applied research projects, the College will apply its successful model of supporting innovation to enhance and improve electric vehicle technology.
To support education enhancement in the area of electric vehicles, TAM is providing full-time instructor support. Through this support, RRC curriculum and training will be further developed to include an enhanced focus on electric vehicles. An online electric vehicle resource centre will host the latest resources, including both publicly available and internally developed documents, whitepapers, reports, and case studies. EVTEC will not provide recommendations to consumers concerning commercially available electric vehicles.
To support public awareness and network building, EVTEC will not only use both traditional and digital media tools, but will offer a series of events – such as ‘lunch & learns’, open houses, ‘drive-n-rides’, and technical full-day forums – for the public and/or industry professionals.
- Zero Emission Electric Transit Bus in Manitoba
Prepared by the Electric Vehicle Technology & Education Centre, Red River College. | June 2017.
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Chevrolet Volt
First Year Report
Prepared by the Electric Vehicle Technology & Education Centre, Red River College, in cooperation with the Energy Division, Manitoba Department of Municipal Government
- All-Electric Mitsubishi iMiEV in Manitoba
First Year Report
Prepared by the Red River College (EVTEC), in cooperation with Manitoba Innovation, Energy and Mines | September 2012.
Second Year Report
Prepared by the Red River College (EVTEC), in cooperation with the Energy Division, Manitoba Department of Municipal Government | December 2013
Third Year Report
Prepared by the Red River College (EVTEC), in cooperation with the Energy Division, Manitoba Department of Municipal Government | June 2014
- All-Electric Nissan Leaf in Manitoba
First Year Report
Prepared by the Electric Vehicle Technology & Education Centre, Red River College, in cooperation with the Energy Division, Manitoba Department of Municipal Government | November 2013
- Preliminary Economic Evaluation: Electric Vehicles in Manitoba
Electric Vehicle Technology & Education Centre, Red River College, in collaboration with the Centre for Emerging Renewable Energy Inc. | December 2012
Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) Research
- Cold-Weather Modifications of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles for Manitoba Operation
Prepared by Curtis Gregor, Red River College, & Robert V. Parsons, the Centre for Emerging Renewable Energy (CERE), 2011.
- Manitoba PHEV Testing & Demonstration:
First Year Report, 2008/2009: Prepared by the Hydrogen Centre of Expertise & Red River College.
Second Year Report 2009/2010: Prepared by the Centre for Emerging Renewable Energy Inc. & Red River College.
Third Year Report 2010/2011: Prepared by the Centre for Emerging Renewable Energy Inc. & Red River College.
- EVS-24: Electric Vehicle-Related Opportunities for Canadian Industry & Organizations
Prepared by Ray Hoemsen, Director, AR&C at Red River College | September 2009
Trade Show Abstracts, Presentations & Posters
- Cold Weather Travel Range and Energy Consumption of the Chevrolet Volt PHEV
Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference
Montreal, Canada | October 19 – 22, 2015
- Manitoba Battery Electric Transit Bus Fleet Development & Demonstration
Next Generation Automobiles in Miyagi
Tohoku University, Sendai Japan | October 27, 2015
- Winter Happens! Understanding and improving electric vehicle operation in cold weather
EV2014 Conference and Tradeshow
Vancouver, BC | October 28-30, 2014
- Vehicle Technology & Energy Centre: Canadian Applied Research Experience at Red River College
International Symposium on Next Generation Automobiles
Tohoku University, Japan | November 25 – 28, 2013
- Electric Vehicle Technology and Education Centre Abstract &
EVS27 EVTEC Poster
EVS27 Symposium, Barcelona, Spain | November 17 – 20, 2013
- Moving Forward with a Green Economy Through the Development & Integration of Electric Vehicles
Second Annual Electric Vehicle & Infrastructure Summit, Toronto | February 6, 2013
- Cold-Weather Modifications of PHEVs for Manitoba Operation
Prepared by Curtis Gregor, Red River College, & Robert V. Parsons, Centre for Emerging Renewable Energy | October 2011.